Supplies for Turkey Head:
- Head - 3/4" brown ball shaped into a tear drop with triangle top. use the ball tool to indent the area for the eyes and beak.
- Beak - 1/3" yellow ball shaped into a triangle then use a knife to draw a slit for the mouth. Attach to the front of the head using either water, piping gel or sugar glue (tylose & water).
- Eyes - 1/8" white ball cut in half and roll to make into eye balls (use a toothpick and brown gel colors to paint in the pupils.
- Caruncle/Wattle - 1/3" red ball shaped into a long tear drop. Brush a tiny bit of water along the side of the beak and down the turkey's throat. Smooth into place.
- Snood - 1/16" red ball shaped into a tear drop. Brush a tiny bit of water along the top of the beak and attach the snood into place.
How to make the Turkey Head (using the supplies from the chart above):
- Head: Take a 3/4" round ball of brown fondant and roll the bottom half of the ball into a slight log (leaving the top half of it round). Slightly pinch the top of the ball into a rounded triangle. Using a ball tool, indent the sides of the triangle for the eye sockets and the front for the beak.
- Beak: With a yellow ball of fondant that is about 1/3" round, shape it into a thick triangle. Use a knife to slit the triangle in half to form the mouth. Attach it to the front of the head using either water, piping gel, or sugar glue (tylose & water).
- Eyes: Roll a piece of white fondant into a 1/8" ball. Cut the ball in half and roll each half into another ball. Add a tiny tab of water into the eye sockets and smooth these balls into place. Dip the tip of a toothpick into with black or brown gel colors (I used chocolate-brown) and draw in the pupils on the eyes.
- Caruncle (the long flap the hand down the turkey throat): Roll out a red ball of fondant into a 1/3" ball then shape it into a long tear drop. Brush a tiny bit of water along the side of the beak and down the turkey’s throat. Smooth the Caruncle into place.
- Snood (flap over the turkey's beak): Roll out another piece of red fondant about 1/16" ball and shape it into a tear drop. Brush a tiny bit of water along the top of the beak and attach the snood into place.
How to make the Feathers:
- Choose your colors for the ombre feathers.
- Cut out a piece of fondant with my 2 1/2" round biscuit cutter and place it over the scraper since it was (it’s easier to lay the frills on if the item is propped up rather than flat down).
- Using a cell pad and a ball tool, frill the top half of each fondant strip and ruffled it along the cupcake topper using a tiny bit of water to attach each piece together. Make a total of 6 layers of frills with variations on the color gradation – some had 2 layers of yellow, others had 1, some had 2 layers of red and others had 3 – play around with it and give it some variety (no two turkeys are alike anyways).
- Once you have the frills all attached to the cupcake topper, add the turkey head using sugar glue or water to attach it on.