Making the Origami Flower Former
- Take a poster board, cut a 3 x 3” square and then cut it diagonally in half.
- Fold the cut triangles in half creasing well in the center.
- Place the two triangles on top of each other and secure it with scotch tape.
- Bring the two open ends together and secure it with scotch tape creating a pyramid shape.
Repeat the above steps to make a smaller Origami flower former using a 2.5 x 2.5” square. Make 7-8 formers from each size.
Making the Origami Flower
- Using Americolor Electric Pink gel and a small amount of Electric Purple gel make 3 shades of pink and by using Americolor Super Black gel make three shades of gray.
- To make the inner pink petals, take one of the pink tones and roll it into a number 5 thickness in the pasta machine or to a 1/16” thickness using a rolling pin. Next, use a texture mat of your choice to texturize the gumpaste. For this tutorial I am using a Makin’s Line Stripe texture mat.
- To make the large Origami flowers use a 3” square cutter to cut three squares.
To make the smaller Origami flowers use a 2.5” square cutter to cut three squares. (Notes: You can cut all the petals at the same time and store them in a sheet protector or a gumpaste storage board).
- Fold it in half diagonally and make a light crease in the center .
- Take a large flower former that you made in step 4 above and apply some vegetable shortening to it. Then take one of the petals made in step 9 above, fold it in half (approx.) and place it on the flower former as shown.
- Apply a small amount of water to one side of the fold
(Note: You can also use gum glue and make sure that you are not applying too much as the petals will try to stretch and slide off the former).
- Take another petal, fold it in half and place it on the side that you applied water in the above step. Next, apply a small amount of water to one side of the second petal.
- Take a third petal, fold it in half and place it on top of the second petal that you applied water to. Next, lift the first petal that you started with in step 11 and then tuck the third petal beneath it. Apply some water to attach the first and the third petals together.
- Repeat the above steps to make the large and small flowers in different pink tones.
Making the Outer Petals
- To make the outer gray petals, take one of the gray tones and roll it into a size 5 thickness in the pasta machine or to a 1/16” thickness using a rolling pin. Next, use the texture mat to texturize the gum paste.
- Using the larger size outer petal template, cut out three large diamond shaped petals. Take one of the petals and apply some water to the one corner of the diamond where the long and short ends meet. Fold the diamond in half.
- Take the center petal that you made in step 14 above, apply a little bit of water to the bottom edge of one side of the petal and attach the outer diamond petal that you made above. Fold the excess over to the other side and glue it by applying some water.
- Attach the second petal by repeating the above step. Fold the excess over to the other side and glue it by applying some water.
- Next attach the third petal and lift the first outer petal and tuck the third petal beneath it and secure it by applying some water. Repeat the above steps to make the large and small flowers in different gray tones and let them dry overnight.
- Roll a thick sheet of gum paste to 1/8” thickness and cut out a triangle to the shape of the flower that you made. Apply some water to the bottom of the Origami flower and attach the gum paste triangle to it. Let it dry overnight.
Making the Origami Accent Leaves
- Roll a black gum paste into a size 5 thickness in the pasta machine or to a 1/16” thickness using a rolling pin. Use the texture mat to texturize the gum paste. Use a 3” square cutter to cut out squares from the black gum paste. Repeat the above steps with gray gum paste and a 2” square cutter. You will need approximately 10- 12 squares from each size.
- Apply some water to one end of the square and fold the square in half by creasing it lightly. Repeat this step for both sizes. On the black triangle apply some water and fold it in half one more time.
- Take the gray triangle, fold it in half by creasing it lightly and then apply some water to the sides. Finally, place the gray triangle over the black triangle as shown in the picture. Repeat these steps to make the remaining Leafs and let them dry overnight.