Let's get started making the field lines:
- Roll out white fondant.
- Use a ruler and pizza cutter to cut long thing strips.
- The strips should be a little less than 1/4" thick and as wide as the cake (9"). You will need 11 strips in total. Allow to dry over night.
Making the grass:
- Roll out bright green fondant and cut a straight edge.
- Use a paring knife to cut blades of grass - tiny triangles. Keep the straight edge in tact so you have pieces about 3" long that have a straight edge on one side and blades cut out on the other.
Making the football:
- Use a football shaped template and an exacto knife to cut a football out of brown gum paste. The football should be about 3" long (use brown gel color mixed into white gum paste to achieve the color). Remove the template from the football.
- Use a paring knife to score the lines in the football.
- Dip the end of a floral wire (18 gauge) into tylose glue into the football. Allow to dry a few days - flat.
- Cut a thin strip of white gum paste for the football lines.
- Use water on a paintbrush to wet where you'll want the stripe. Use an exacto knife to cut the strip along the edge of the football.
- Cut thinner strips for the stitching.
- Apply the stitching with water.
- Cut even thinner strips for the smaller stitching.
- Place each white stitch on the football with water.
- Repeat the steps until all of your football stitching is in place.
- Space out your field lines onto your cake.
- Once they are dry - lift them up and apply a bit of icing to the back of each field line and secure to the cake.
- Paint water on the backs of your blades of grass.
- Apply your strips of grass along base of your tier - you can overlap them as you like.
- Pipe royal icing numbers next to each yard line.
- Stick your dried football on a wire into the center of your cake.
- Airbrush your final cake with vodka. If you don't have an airbrush, use a large pastry brush to brush away excess sugar.
- Use lime green edible glitter.
- Apply the glitter with a large fluffy brush. Sprinkle lightly across the cake for an extra touch!
What's on the inside of Anne's football cake - Chocolate cake with peanut butter filling - yum!