Let's Get Started:
- Use cornstarch when fondant gets sticky. Sometimes the dye can make it very hard to work with; add a little cornstarch. Also use it when rolling out the fondant.
- I recommend using gloves when dying the fondant or you will have dye everywhere.
- Be sure to constantly work with the fondant to avoid it from drying - if you are going to take a break, seal the fondant up in plastic wrap.
Step 1 - The Basics:
- Split your fondant ball into 3 - 2 larger and one very small.
- Dye one of the larger balls blue and the other brown. Dye the small ball yellow.
Step 2 - The Nest:
- Roll out a thin piece of brown fondant and use the circle cutter to cut out the base of your nest.
- Take small pieces at a time and begin rolling the piece in between your hands - then roll on table to lengthen it.
- Attach the rolled piece to the base with some water and then continue to repeat this step to build up the nest, while alternating the placement of the seams.