Let's Get Started:
1. Torte and stack the 8” and one of the 6” cakes. Dowel these layers.
2. Place the 4” cake card on top of the dowels.
3. Continue to torte and stack the remaining cakes as shown.
4. Begin to carve the cakes into the hat shape.
5. The end result should be similar to the picture shown, refrigerate until the buttercream has firmed up.
6. Cover the 14” cake board with black fondant, leave to dry.
7. Coat the cake with the chocolate ganache.
8. Use a flexible smoother to smooth out the ganache, refrigerate until set. Once set attach the cake to the 14” covered cake board using ganache.
9. Complete the hat by adding the modeling chocolate to the top to form a point.
10. Shape the point of the hat as shown (above).
13. Where the two pieces of fondant meet pinch together gently and trim away the excess.
14. Shape the top of the cake - as shown (above).
15. Use the side of your hand to create some wrinkles in the hat.
16. Use the Dresden tool to create creases in the hat.
17. For the brim roll out two long strips from the remaining green fondant and attach to the cake using edible glue as shown. Use some paper towels underneath the fondant to create ruffles in the brim.
18. Mix the green and yellow airbrush colours together 50/50 and airbrush the creases of the hat. Leave to dry.
19. Roll out some purple fondant and use the pantograph cutter to cut the strips that will go around the base of the hat.
20. Roll out some orange fondant and cut out circles, place, them neatly into the purple strip as shown (above).
21. Press down using a smoother to secure the dots.
22. Attach the strips to the bottom of the hat using edible glue.
23. For the bow, roll a wider strip of purple, repeat steps 20 & 21.
24. Flip the strip over and create the basic bow shape as shown (above).
25. Use another strip to create the centre of the bow.
26. For the tails of the bow create another strip, cutting the ends as shown (above).
27. Gather the straight edge to create the tail shape.
28. Attach that tails and bow using edible glue.
29. For the patches cut some squares of orange fondant an attach using edible glue.
30. Sue a stitching tool to create stitch marks in the patches.
31. Add little strips of purple fondant to the patches as shown (above).
32. Mix the black petal dust with alcohol to create a thick paint and paint random lines throughout the cake. Line all the edges in black also. Once complete attach a ribbon to the board.