Let's Get Started:
*To begin, you will need three 6-inch, 8-inch, and 10-inch round cakes, filled and crumb-coated*
To Make The Waves
- Cover cakes with 6 pounds of white fondant.
- Create 3 different shades of blue that you will need for the waves.
- Roll out the lightest blue fondant to a strip that's 32 inches long by 4.5 inches wide by 1/4 inch thick.
- Using a ruler, measure and mark the fondant with a knife every 2.5 inches lengthwise.
- With the round cutter, cut out half-circles along the top of the strip, using the marks as a guide.
- Roll up the wave strip into a spool. Brush the bottom cake tier with water and unroll the wave strip around the sides of the cake. Trim away the excess fondant at the seam.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for the middle blue shade and the darkest blue shade for the 10" cake, using the same width for each wave strip but reducing the length for each shade, according to the "Wave Color" chart shown below.
- To keep the points of the waves in line, start each wave strip on a point; that way when you line up the next one you'll always be starting at a point. For a "surfer" style wave, gently knock the peaks over so that they're all pointing to the side in the same direction.
To Decorate The Cake
- Make the nautical rope for the center tier by dividing the remaining 1.5 pounds of white fondant in half.
- Roll each piece of fondant into a rope that's about 1/4 inch in diameter.
- Line the two ropes up next to each other and pinch them together at the ends. Hold an end in each hand and twist the ropes together.
- Lay the rope onto the cake around the middle tier. Place the rope so that the ends will be hidden by your shells.
- Place the molded gum paste shells in clusters around the cake as you like. With this kind of application, I prefer to rest the shells on the cake as they would lie naturally, as opposed to applying them flat against the sides.
*Gum paste dries very hard, which will help the shells keep their shape but will make them less than desirable to eat. Be sure to remove them before serving*