Let's Get Started:
- Roll out your light and dark green gum paste and using a sharp knife, cut it lengthways into even strips (5 cm. in width) - remembering that the thinner the ribbons the more delicate the design.
- Take one dark green ribbon and lay flat - using a small amount of water, gently brush the top side of the ribbon and lay a light green strip directly over the top. Gently apply a small amount of pressure to firmly glue the ribbons together - trim the ends.
- Fold the whole ribbon over on itself to create a ribbon of double thickness - place the ribbon on its side and manipulate into a curl - spiraling one end in on itself. Repeat the process, varying the curvature and length of your spiral pieces until you have created 3 or 4 curled gum paste ribbons.
- To create the leaves - take a length of the ribbon, curl it around your finger until the two ends meet and using scissors, snip the ends to create a seamless adjoining. Then gently tease the circle into a leaf shape by pinching the round end.
- To create the holly leaves - take a long ribbon of gum paste, cut it in half (width wise) - then taking both ends fold them inward until they meet in the middle. Trim off the excess.
- Pinch the middle where the two ends meet to create a heart shape. Repeat the process several times shortening the length of the gum paste each time by a small amount - so each heart becomes gradually smaller.
- Lay the hearts on their side and arrange in a leaf shape - leaving space between each piece and allow to fully air dry.
To create the poinsettias
- Roll out the red gum paste to a thickness of mm. and cut ribbons 5 cm. wide. Let air dry for several minutes.
- Take a length of the gum paste and coil it around into a spiral circle. Repeat the process until you have 5 evenly sized circles.
- Take another length of gum paste, fold it in half (width wise) to create a double thick layer and then wrap it around the circle - pinching the end to create a point of the flower. Use the scissors to trim the end and create the other point.
- Wrap an additional layer of white around each of the petals.
- Let all decorations dry over night before arranging them into a cohesive design that works for you. Once dry you can apply all to your cake.